Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions 


Icelandic words explained 

Selected Icelandic words explained in various languages. 

Working in Iceland

NOTE: To work in Iceland everyone needs to have a personal ID number. If you are not from an EEA/EFTA member state you also need to have a residents permit. More information is below.


Everyone in Iceland is registered at Registers Iceland and has a personal ID number (kennitala). So if you plan to stay for more than three months you need to get this ID number. Read about ID numbers here.

If you intend to stay in Iceland longer than three months and you are a citizen of a country that is not an EEA/EFTA member state, you need a residence permit.  The Directorate of Immigrants issues the residence permit.


A necessary requirement for residence permit based on work is that a work permit has been granted by the Directorate of Labour. General information about work permits can be found on the website of the Directorate of Labour.


An employer who intends to hire a foreign national shall submit an application for a work permit to the Directorate of Immigration along with all the necessary supporting documents.


Further information about residence permit based on work, such as requirements and documents to be submitted, as well as the application form, can be found on the website of the Directorate of Immigration.

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy