Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions 


Icelandic words explained 

Selected Icelandic words explained in various languages. 

Study in Iceland

If you intend to stay in Iceland longer than three months and you are a citizen of a country that is not an EEA/EFTA member state, you need a residence permit.  The Directorate of Immigrants issues the residence permit.


Student’s residence permits are granted to the following:


  • Individuals intending to engage in full time studies at a University in Iceland.
  • Post graduate students from foreign Universities collaborating with an Icelandic University.
  • Exchange students from acknowledged exchange-student organizations. 
  • Interns.
  • Students in technical studies and recognized workplace studies at higher-education level.
  • Graduate looking for employment.


Requirements, further information on documents to be submitted and an application form can be found on the website of the Directorate of Immigrants.



Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy