Staying less than 3 months

If you are an EEA/EFTA citizen who intends to work in Iceland for less than 3 months you need to contact the Iceland Revenue and Customs regarding the application of a system ID number.


Information about system ID numbers as well as normal ID numbers can be found here.


Only public authorities can apply for a system ID number for foreign citizens and applications must be submitted electronically.


More information can be found on the website of the Registers Iceland.

Please note that a copy of passport or legal travel ID must be included in the application and the ID must be valid at the time the application is submitted.


Note that a system ID number is only issued to individuals who intend to stay less than 3-6 months in Iceland or do not intend to stay in the country at all. This registration does not grant any rights in Iceland.

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy