Moving from Iceland
When moving away from Iceland there are certain things that have to be taken care of. Doing the appropriate paperwork right, makes everything easier. And importantly, doing it while still in Iceland.
- Notify Registers Iceland that you will be moving abroad. Transfers of legal domicile from Iceland must be registered within 7 days.
- Think about possible transfer of your insurance and/or pension rights. Also keep other personal rights and obligations in mind.
- Check if your passport is valid and if not, apply for a new one in time.
- Be sure to know about what rules apply to residence and work permits in the country you are moving to.
- Make sure all tax claims are fully paid
- Don´t rush to close your bank account in Iceland, you might need it for some time.
- Make sure mail will be delivered to you by arranging that with the mail service or having a representative to receive your mail.
- Remember to unsubscribe from membership agreements before leaving.
When emigrating abroad and you cease to have legal residence in Iceland, you must notify Registers Iceland before leaving. Registers Iceland needs to receive information about the address in the new country among other things. There are actually number of issues that must be taken care of before an individual or a family decides to emigrate abroad. Passports need to be valid, if not, apply for a new one in time.
When emigrating to one of the other Nordic countries it´s necessary to register with the appropriate authorities in the municipality which you are moving to. There are number of rights that transfer between the countries. Personal identification documents or a passport must be shown and the Icelandic identity number given.
When emigrating to a country outside the Nordic countries, it is important to find out what rules apply to residence and work permits in the country in question. Is visa needed for example?
It is recommended to find out what changes occur to personal rights and obligations after moving from Iceland . What personal identification documents and certificates apply in that country? Apply for permits and certificates, if needed, that for example relate to the following:
- Social security
- Education (Your own and/or that of your children)
- Taxes and other public levies
- Driving licence
Iceland has made an agreement with other countries regarding mutual rights and obligations of citizens that emigrate between countries.
Information on the website of Health Insurance Iceland.
On the Info Norden website you will find information and links related to moving away from Iceland to another Nordic country.