Everyone needs a roof over their head.
For people with physical disabilities, access issues must be taken into account, and some need services and assistance within the home around the clock.
- The disabled live, as others do, either in their own housing or in rented housing. Other forms of residence may include homes for the elderly, short-term care, sheltered housing, apartments or group homes, apartment complexes and social rental housing.
- Applications for short-term care for disabled children/adults and for permanent housing are made to the regional offices for the disabled and to many of the municipal authorities.
- Responsibility for the residency and housing issues of the disabled lies with the regional offices for the disabled, the Organisation of the Disabled in Iceland, local authorities and the social services operated by them. Their websites contain more detailed information.
Links of interest
- The Organization of Disabled in Iceland
- Social Insurance Administration
- Sjónarhóll – Counselling Center