Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions 


Icelandic words explained 

Selected Icelandic words explained in various languages. 

Rights of the disabled

By law, the disabled are entitled to general services and assistance. They shall have equal rights and enjoy living standards comparable to other members of society.


Disabled people have the right to education with appropriate support at all stages of education.


They also have the right to guidance and assistance in finding suitable employment.

The Icelandic national organization, „Þroskahjálp “, was established in 1976. The organization‘s objective is to „fight for the rights and promote the interests of people with intellectual disabilities/challenges, as well as other children and adults with disabilities, and to ensure that their rights are fully comparable to those of other citizens“, as stated in the statutes of the organization.

Taxes, discounts and deductions

According to tax legislation, disability pension recipients and other benefit recipients may utilize deductions to reduce their income tax base. Most local authorities have established rules on various types of assistance for people with disabilities. The extent of the support differs between municipalities. Disabled people may, for example, receive a discount on property taxes.


People with disabilities can, among other things, apply for subsidies for the operation of a car, cancellation of vehicle taxes, and fixed fees for home telephones. Disability pension recipients and children with care assessments are among those who pay less for the medicinal products they have to use. The Social Insurance Administration, moreover, contributes towards the dental expenses of people with disabilities.


Disabled people pay lower fares than is generally the case for travel on public buses.


For more details we recommend the following links:


Information on disability benefits

Information on taxes discounts and deductions

OBI – The Icelandic Disability Alliance


Housing, admission and residency

In Iceland everyone has the right to housing as a basic human right. For people with physical disabilities, there are rights regarding accessibility and services or assistance within the home around the clock. People with disabilities live, as others do, either in their own housing or in rented housing. Other forms of residence may include homes for the elderly, short-term care, sheltered housing, apartments or group homes, apartment complexes and social rental housing.


Applications for short-term care for disabled children/adults and for permanent housing are made to the regional offices for the disabled and to many of the municipal authorities.


Responsibility for the residency and housing issues of the disabled lies with the regional offices for the disabled, the Organisation of the Disabled in Iceland, local authorities and the Social Insurance Administration. Useful information can be found on their website links provided here.

Education and employment

Children with disabilities are entitled to pre and primary school education in the municipality in which they have legal residence. A diagnosis analysis should occur upon or before entrance into school to ensure children receive the appropriate support services. There is a specialized school for primary school aged children with severe disabilities, in the Reykjavik area.


Children with disabilities in secondary schools shall, according to Icelandic law, have access to appropriate specialised assistance. Many secondary schools have specific departments, vocational study programmes, and additional courses specifically designed to suit the needs of children with disabilities.


Fjölmennt adult education center, provides various courses for people with disabilities in addition to  providing advice on other studies in collaboration with Mímir continuing education school. The University of Iceland offers a vocational diploma program in development therapy. Enrolment is every other year.


The Organisation of the Disabled in Iceland, together with interest groups, non-governmental associations, and local authorities, provide advice and information relating to the education and employment available to the disabled.


Support for those who need assistance with finding suitable employment in the private sector is provided through the Directorate of Labour.

Various services

The Center for aid equipment at the Social Insurance Administration is responsible for issuing aid equipment to the disabled, and provides consultancy services. The approval of the Social Insurance Administration is required for contributions towards the cost of purchasing aid equipment.


Parents of disabled children and those providing children with services can borrow specialised development toys from toy collections maintained by the regional offices. The offices also provide various other services and parenting advice.


Disabled children and their families can seek the services of a support family. A child can stay with a support family for two to three days a month. The regional offices for the disabled provide further information on how to become a support family or obtain the services of a support family.


Summer camps for disabled children are available in some locations in Iceland and are run by local authorities, non-profit organisations, or individuals.


The disabled can apply for a parking card that allows them to park vehicles in parking spaces reserved for the disabled. Applications for such cards are processed by Chiefs of Police and District Commissioners.


Some of the larger municipalities operate travel services for the disabled. Such services must be ordered in advance. Rules on the number of trips and the charges, if any, for the service differ between municipalities. Passengers with disabilities travelling by air are entitled to a certain degree of assistance, free of charge, to navigate airports, as well as to special arrangements during the flight.


Disabled people are offered social home services and social assistance by the larger municipalities.

Some municipalities offer sports and leisure activities and other types of activities for the disabled.


Links of interest:
The Organization of the Disabled
The Centre for Disability Studies

Grants and benefits

Persons who have been assessed as disabled may be entitled to various benefit payments and grants. The payments, which may be determined according to a range of factors, are bound by the disability rating of the individual and his or her circumstances.

The disability pension recipient is advised to thoroughly examine the information and rules on income linking, as the majority of benefit categories are income-linked. Disability pension recipients must prepare, annually, an income estimate. This estimate forms the basis for calculating the benefits for the coming year. Administration sends benefit recipients a filled-in income estimate form, which they then correct if necessary.

The parents of children who are disabled or suffer from serious illness are entitled to care benefits. The payments may continue from the end of maternity/paternity leave until the child is aged 16 or 18. Spouses and those living with disability pension recipients may, under certain circumstances, be entitled to spouse or care benefits. Benefit recipients are obliged to notify the Social Insurance Administration of any changes to their circumstances.

Links of interest:
The Organization of Disabled in Iceland
Social Insurance Administration
Icelandic Human Rights Centre
Icelandic Pension Funds Association

Disability assessment and diagnosis of disability

The State Diagnostic and Counselling Centre is responsible for the examination and diagnosis of children with disabilities and other developmental deviations. Parents and relatives, moreover, may contact the centre for information and assistance, and the same applies to regional offices for the disabled.

The parents of children who are disabled or suffer from serious illness are entitled to care benefits. The payments may continue until the child is aged 16 or 18. Applications for payments are made by filling in a form supplied by the Social Insurance Administration. A medical certificate shall accompany the application, and if the child is disabled, a report from the regional office for the disabled shall be included.

An individual aged 16 to 67 may request a disability rating, in consultation with their doctor, when it becomes clear that they will not fully recover from an accident or illness. The assessment is generally performed when the individual has received sickness benefits for one year.

A certificate from a doctor and the individual’s application for a disability pension and related payments, along with further documentation, must be submitted to the Social Insurance Administration.

In some cases, the person applying for the disability rating is called in for an interview or a medical examination, which is performed by a doctor employed by the Social Insurance Administration. In such cases the person in question may be entitled to a refund for travel expenses.

Disability benefits are determined on the basis of a comparison of the results of the disability rating with a special standard.

Links of interest:
The State Diagnostic and Counselling Center
Social Insurance Administration
The Organization of Disabled in Iceland
Icelandic Human Rights Centre

Rights of children with disabilities

Þroskahjalp The National Association of Intellectual Disabilities has produced informative videos about the rights of children with disabilities with immigrant background. Here below are three versions in English. More videos in additional languages, can be found here and more information about the rights of the disabled in general on the Þroskahjálp website.

Rights of children with disability with immigrant background

Rights of children with disability from the EES area

Rights of children with immigrant background to health care services

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy