- Driving lessons for normal passenger vehicles may begin at the age of sixteen, but a driving licence may only be awarded at the age of seventeen. The legal age for light mopeds (scooters) is fifteen and for tractors, sixteen.
- To commence driving lessons, you must contact a certified driving instructor. Your driving instructor guides you through both the theoretical and practical parts of your study and refers you to a driving school where theoretical study takes place.
- Learner drivers may practise their driving in a vehicle accompanied by somebody other than their driving instructor. Authorisation for practice driving is subject to the following conditions:
- the student must have completed at least the first part of their theoretical study and, in the opinion of the driving instructor, received sufficient practical training;
- the accompanying driver must have reached the age of 24 and have at least five years of driving experience;
- the accompanying driver must hold a permit obtained from the Commissioner of Police in Reykjavik or from the District Commissioner elsewhere.
Icelandic Transport Authority
Icelandic Association of Driving Instructors