Assessment of previous education

Going through the process of submitting your qualifications and educational degrees for recognition can improve your opportunities and your status in the labour market and lead to higher wages.


To enable your qualifications to be assessed, you need to provide satisfactory documentation certifying your studies, including copies of examination certificates, together with translations by certified translators. Translations may be in English or a Nordic language.


ENIC/NARIC Iceland carries out assessments of overseas qualifications and studies. They provide individuals, universities, employees, professional organisations, and other stakeholders with information on qualifications, education systems and assessment processes. Visit the ENIC/NARIC website for more information.


Submitted documentation need to include the following:

  • Subjects studied and the length of study in years, months and weeks. 
  • Vocational training if part of studies. 
  • Professional experience.
  • The rights conferred by the qualifications in your home country. 

Getting prior education recognised

Recognition of skills and qualifications is key to support mobility and learning as well as career opportunities for all across the EU. Europass is for anyone who wants to document their studies or experience within 32 European countries.

Europass website in english and in Icelandic


The assessment consists in determining the status of the qualification in question in the country in which it was awarded and working out which qualification in the Icelandic education system it may be compared to. The services of ENIC/NARIC Iceland are free of charge.

Occupational qualifications

Foreign nationals moving to Iceland and intending to work in the sector for which they have trained must ensure that their overseas occupational qualifications are valid in Iceland.


Those with qualifications from Nordic or EEA countries usually have professional qualifications which are valid in Iceland, but they may need to obtain specific work authorization.


Those educated in non-EEA countries will almost always need to have their qualifications assessed in Iceland. Recognition applies only to professions accredited (approved) by the Icelandic authorities.


If your education does not cover an accredited profession, it is then up to the employer to decide whether or not it meets their recruitment criteria. Where applications for qualification assessment should be sent depends, for example, on whether the applicant comes from an EEA or non-EEA country.


Specific ministries assess qualifications in the fields which they cover. A list of various professions and which ministry to turn to, can be found here.


For information regarding how to work as a healthcare professional, the Directorate of Health is responsible for all applications. Here through this link, you will find important regulations and applications for health care professionals to receive qualifications to work in Iceland. 

Lifelong learning centres (Adult education)

The aim of the Adult education is to meet the needs of adults with little formal education and also to meet the needs of the labour market for employees with increased knowledge and skills.


Lifelong learning centres are located all around Iceland and offer wide variety of lifelong learning opportunities for adults. All of the centres offer, guidance for career development, training courses, Icelandic courses and assessment of previous education and working skills.


Kvasir is an association of lifelong learning centres. Click the map below to find out where the centres are and how to contact them.

You can also visit the site of Fræðslumiðstöðin for useful information about this matter.

Privacy Settings
We use cookies to enhance your experience while using our website. If you are using our Services via a browser you can restrict, block or remove cookies through your web browser settings. We also use content and scripts from third parties that may use tracking technologies. You can selectively provide your consent below to allow such third party embeds. For complete information about the cookies we use, data we collect and how we process them, please check our Privacy Policy