Basic conditions for a residence permit

Secure support

The applicant must be able to show secure support and that means any of the following:

  • Employment wages or fixed regular payments.
  • Private funds (for example in a bank account).
  • Payments from other close members of family (if the applicant is a child under 18 or a parent 67 or older).

If support is in the form of employment wages or fixed regular payments you must present an employment contract, payslips or a certificate from the employer on job percentage and duration of employment.

If it is a question of private funds, which the applicant uses for support, they must be in a currency listed at the Central Bank of Iceland ( The same applies to student loans or education grants for students.

Information on reference for minimum support can be found on the Directorate of Immigration's website.


Payments in the form of social assistance from a state or municipality are not considered to be secure support.

Secure housing

By secure housing it means that the applicant can establish that he can stay in a house, that is registered as a resident housing in the real estate registry, with the consent of the registered owner. The registered owner of a house must sign a form which confirms this

Health insurance

The applicant must buy a health insurance called medical expense insurance from an insurance company with an operating license in Iceland. The insurance must be valid for at least six months from the registration of a legal residence or until the person has gained the right to be medically insured in Iceland (further information are given by the insurance companies;,,, ).

Children and youths, under 18 years of age, are medically insured with their parents or custodians. The same applies to adopted children, stepchildren and foster children.

Those who do not have health insurance must pay a higher fee for health services. Information on health insurance and more can be found at the Social Insurance Administration's website ( and the Icelandic Health Insurance's website (

Attached documents and certificates

The Directorate of Immigration and other institutions make the requirement that all foreign certificates, which are in another language than English or a Nordic language (Danish, Norwegian, Swedish or Finnish), come with a translation by a certified translator.

Information on certified translators in Iceland can be found on the website of the The Association of Certified Court Interpreters and Translators


Before applying for a residence permit in Iceland you must provide various certificates and documents which must accompany the application. It depends on the purpose of stay and categories of permits what documents are requested. Information regarding what documents must be attached in each instance is on the Directorate of Immigration's website (

The Directorate of Immigration reserves the right to request confirmation for the legitimacy of foreign certificates. This concerns so called “apostille” certification from the home state of the applicant or a double confirmation from the foreign ministry of the home state and embassy of the state in question in Iceland or the nearest embassy (if the state in question does not have an embassy in Iceland).

Further information on apostille-certification can be found on the HCCH website (

The documents (if applicable) that must be submitted in original form are:

  • Criminal record.
  • Marital certificate.
  • Birth certificate.
  • Custody documents, divorce documents or death certificates.
  • Confirmation of cohabitation or same-sex union.

It is imperative that the validation of passport is at least three months beyond the intended stay.